lt1camaro03112
lt1camaro03112, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Automotive Technician
64624869

GMC Sierra 1500: Passenger side power window doesnt work when

Customer Question

Passenger side power window doesn't work when I press the driver side switch it clicks but when I use the passenger side switch nothing sound. I tried a new motor just plugged it in uninstalled and tried the switches again same result, could it be a regulator or the passenger door switch
Category: GMC
Expert:  lt1camaro03112 replied 2 years ago.

lt1camaro03112 :

It sounds like the passenger door switch is the culprit. The window wont work with the driver's switch because it actually uses the relays inside the passenger switch to make the window motor operate. It isnt the regulator if you tried to plug in the motor and it didnt work. Replace that passenger window switch and you'll be back in business.

Customer:

That's what I thought the culprit was I ordered the switch already but just needed an expert opinion to confirm that, because I wasn't sure where the relay was located so Thanks.

Experience: Automotive Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I tried replacing the switch it still doesn't work, any suggestions?

I would test for power at the window switch. There should be power (when the key is on) on the green wire. When you push the switch you should have power at the dark blue or brown (not tan) wires(depending on if you push the switch up or down.) Test this with the switch plugged in.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok got power to the green and also got power to both up and down. blue & brown when pushing the switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did you get my last message?
Sounds like our power supply is ok. Put your test light across the blue and brown wires and see if it lights when you push the switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I couldn't respond sooner but I only hav a volt tester I need to get a light tester,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Can I use a votymeter to do this test?

You can try it with a voltmeter to see what you get, but the problem with a voltmeter is that it doesn't 'load' the circuit. It will work to get a voltage reading though.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'll get the light tester and get back to you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tested the blue and the clip to ground, it lit, did the same with the brown and it lit.
Connect the light across the two wires. blue to brown and see what you get.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing and even tried the wsitch.
Try your test light from Dark green to Black.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Got a light

did you test both black wires?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Both got light

The dark green wire is your power, the black ones are your ground. The Blue and brown wires both are being fed power (clip to ground and test light lights). No light from blue to brown means your ground is missing. The black wires were tested as good ground, so the ground has to be missing inside the switch. I know you have replaced the switch, but all your testing=bad switch.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah bad switch, serves me right buying from e-bay!! Thanks I'll try and get another switch.
Get a dealer part, they should be around $60. Sounds like they sold you that one because it didst work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yeah you got that right, it seems the electronic stuff cannot be trusted you never know until you get the part. I gues a costly lesson if they don't own up. Thanks again I'll keep you posted on the new switch. Thanks again.

You're welcome. Good luck.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried the new switch but same results, must be the motor.