Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 year experience.
10949255

GMC Suburban K2500 4x4: 1999 GMC Suburban. P1345 code. Check

1999 GMC Suburban. P1345 code. Check engine soon light is on. I replaced the cam sensor and also the crank sensor. It still runs a little rough and when it drives down the road it studders just a bit "not terrrible" but feels a little out of time. I cleared the codes after changing both sensors and the code P1345 came back again. any Ideas?

Gm Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

Gm Tech (Cam) :

P1345 is for the timing. This is set with a scanner to view the CMP retard value.

Gm Tech (Cam) :

Sec is +2 to -2

Customer:

I replaced both (cam and crank) sensors. I cleared the codes after changing both sensors and the code P1345 came back again.

Gm Tech (Cam) :

yes, the timing is out on the distributor so all you need to do is turn it to get the timing as I said.

Customer:

I think my buddy tried adjusting it. Is it possible that the it could be something else. He also said he had trouble getting a read on TDC (something obout not being able to disconect a wire on my motor when he hooked up his timing gun?)

Gm Tech (Cam) :

no, that code is ONLY for timing.

Gm Tech (Cam) :

and this cannot be done with a timing light, it MUST be read with a scan tool.

Customer:

I will have him check it again. Thank you. I'll post back after he does.

Gm Tech (Cam) :

Bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it, and so you know, you can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply. Please don't forget to click accept at some time as that is my only means of compensation for assisting you.

Gm Tech (Cam) :

Oh and a timing light will simply show what the POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE wants even when you turn it becuase it is trying to adjsut it.

Customer:

Thank you! any chance the timing chain is bad?

Gm Tech (Cam) :

possibly. also the gear at the bottom of the distributor is more often bad than the timing chain.

Customer:

thank you.