Randall
Randall, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 Years Diagnostic and repair,Electrical specialist
13677702

GM Yukon: How do I replace and refill the antifreeze in my

Customer Question

How do I replace and refill the antifreeze in my 2005 Yukon Denali?
Category: GMC
Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am Randall. That fitting is not designed to be removed. The correct way is to remove the lower radiator hose. It will have a spring type clamp on the end. There is a special tool to squeeze it but you may be able to do with larger channel lock pliers. If you click HERE you can view full procedure
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Randall,

Thank you for your help. I think that I can handle this. Where are the bleeder screws and how many are there? I do not plan on draining the block. Does the DEX - COOL go in the recovery tank since there is no radiator cap on the radiator?

Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
Honestly? I cant remember but if you loosen the clamp on one end of the bleeder hose shown, pull hose end off, either on, start adding coolant to the resevoir bottle, as soon as coolant starts to come out of the small hose or nipple, put hase back on. This means the coolant has reached top of engine. You can also remove the upper rad hose from t stat hpising, fill with coolant till some comes out that hose then put back on the stat housing. Look close at thermosate housing as it may? have small screw on top which would be a bleed screw. the objective here is to gett coolant to top of enegine so each of the methods i presented will work just fine. yes,, all coolant goes into the resevoir bottle

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank You,

I'm used to working on cars of the 50's and it is real simple to change antifreeze.

Gary

Expert:  Randall replied 5 years ago.
nowadays due to under hood space etc,, the hoses etc are higher than the radiator thus why bleeding. It can get an air pocket. I have always tried to use the method of removing upper rad hose, filling till water comes out, put hose back on and continue. It works well this way. yes,, times have changed. If you run into any snags, pls LMK thanks