Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

GMC Yukon Denali: When replacing the steering wheel radio control

When replacing the steering wheel radio control buttons/lights in our 2004 Yukon Denali, I blew the fuse when pulling on the connector of the volume switch. I've checked all the fuses inside and under the hood and saw elsewhere that there is a 2A fuse somewhere on the steering column, but simply cannot find it.
Is there an picture or image of where this elusive fuse is on the column or under the dash perchance?
Hello and thank you for using Justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your GMC problem.

Are the switches not illuminating now?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Dave,
That's correct sir. The functions work, but there's no light. These are brand new switches. The ones I had originally worked but some of the bulbs had burned out. Rather than get bulbs from radioshack and solder them in, I chose to simply replace all four of the switches with new ones.

I replaced the two upper (four button) switches without issue and they lit up fine but the wires were not quite long enough on the lower left (two button) switch and I used a pair of pliers to hold the connector and saw a tiny spark as I (assumedly) grounded the hot lead and blew the fuse for these lights.

I read that there was a fuse (2A in one article and 10A in another) that was separate from those in the fuse boxes. That's what I'm trying to find. I've removed the lower dash and can see most everything...except that fuse. :-)

I'm an electrical engineer and this should be a simple fix once I find this little devil's location.

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Does the a/c control panel and all other dash lighting still work?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes Sir,
They're on a separate circuit and the potentiometer that controls them adjusts their intensity just fine. I'm rather certain that the lights for the steering wheel radio/onstar controls are disparate of that circuit since you have no means of adjusting their intensity. They're simply on when the the car is running.
The steering wheel controls are supposed to dim with the dash lights according to the diagram. Test the Brown/White wire coming into the column under the dash. This wire should have power with the lights on.

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the schematic but I believe there is a fuse that I'm trying to find like the one noted in this response from another member here on the forum:

http://www.justanswer.com/chevy/4g5xg-steering-wheel-control-lights-out-even-replacing-switche.html

Do you have a picture or image of it's location sir?
There are no pictures of this fuse in the service manual, nor is it shown in the diagram. If yours is equipped with this fuse, it will be inline on the Brown/White wire I mentioned previously. Remove the cover under the steering column and follow the harness from the column back to the large rectangular connector. The fuse would be inline in the Brown/White wire between the column and the large connector.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I appreciate your help, but that was the question that I posed originally sir. I had the cover off yesterday and looked for quite some time. Following the B/W lead I simply don't see anything inline at all. My manual, like yours, didn't show this fuse and since the other lights work it seems logical that it is the culprit. I'll look again and see if it's hidden on top of the column..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

While you are there, test for power on the Brown/ White wire closer to the large rectangular connector. I do not know of a fuse in this circuit. Normally all fuses are in a panel and are easily accessible. Even inline fuses are labeled on the diagrams. Let me know if you find power on the main wire and we can take it from there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well, after looking more closely, the Brown/White wire I saw is really a Red/White and I honestly can't seem to find any Brn/Wht coming from the wheel assembly into the connector. I appreciate your help and will go ahead an accept this since you've spent time with me.

If you get a chance, in your spare time, can you identify (approximately) which location on this connector that the brn/wht light feed wire should be connected to sir?

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd58/Customer/WheelConnctr.jpg
Yes, here is a diagram of the connector location. Connector C201

graphic

The Brown/White wire is in terminal # XXXXX of this connector, see diagram below.

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Perfect. God bless, my friend!
You are welcome. Please let me know if I can help further.