George H.
George H., ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  15+ Years ASE Master Technician with Level 1 Certification

GMC Sierra: I can not remove my spare tire? help please

Customer Question

I can not remove my spare tire? help please
Category: GMC
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

What happens when you turn the spare tire lift with the tire tools?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I turned it with the tire jack, it lower 2-3 inches than stopped, I tried reversing for two clicks then back forwards like the manual recommends and nothing, I applied more pressure on the tire jack and it lowered another 2-3 inches, now one edge can rest on the ground, but I can not return it into its original position to try the thirst method which is place the jack in the centre of the tire and lift it until it is snug in resting place. If I turn it with the lift tools it will raise 2-4 inches or drop 2-4 inches,
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

It sounds like the lift ratchet has rusted so it will no longer catch. You can try spraying it with rust spray and letting it soak (really flood it) and see if it comes back to life. Otherwise you will have to replace the lift. If it is raised too high without the tire in place it can get stuck all the way up, I realize this is not your problem but I thought I would warn you of that.

The service information to install the tire and replace the lift is below, maybe it will help but I think you will have to replace the lift due to rust.

Click here for procedure

Look this over and let me know how i can help

Thank you