Dave Nova
Dave Nova, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

GM express 2500 I have a chevy van 2500 and the oil light

I have a chevy van 2500 and the oil light will come on for a minute or two and then go off. Is this a problem with a sensor?
Hello and thank you for using Justanswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your GMC problem.

Does oil pressure gauge ever drop when the light comes on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Oil pressure does show low a bit when the vehicle is first started, and then after acceleration the light goes off and pressure goes back to normal levels

I recently changed the oil when i first saw the light come on, and have always changed oil in my vehicles

Engine temp shows normal

Since the light is on when the engine is started until accelerating and low oil pressure is indicated, this is more than likely going to be a failing oil pump. It would be a good idea to remove the oil pressure sending unit and temporarily install a manual oil pressure gauge. If pressures are normal, replace the sending unit. If pressures are low, replace the oil pump.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thank you. can you describe where the oil pressure sending unit and oil pump are located on this vehicle

The oil pump is inside the engine, the oil pan must be removed to replace the oil pump. The sending unit (sensor) is on top of the engine at the rear. See picture below.'

#1 is oil pressure sensor plug.