Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

My temp has failed and I have auto zone to a quick engine

Customer Question

my temp has failed and I have auto zone to a quick engine check they came option of themostat or ect sensor to replace, since I have a water pump replaced and they did the thermostat, I have ruled that out. so have a check engine lite on
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2004 gmc envoy 4 wheel
JA: Are you fixing your Envoy yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I want to fix myself if possible, have checked the fluid and the car has good heat
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't think so
Category: GM
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

HI,

4.2 or 5.3L engine?

When you say the temperature has failed, what do you mean - temperature gage not working, engine overheating, or something else?

Did autozone tell you the fault code number or exact definition that is setting the check engine light?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
should have said temp gauge has failed. code 883 for ect sensor 882 for thermostat and 881 for fluid
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
water pump was replaced four months ago and gauge failed some time after
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

Ok, and which engine - the 4.2 or the 5.3 engine

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
5.3
Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

sorry for the delay, my computer froze up.

Ok, you will need to check the wiring harness going to the ECT sensor for broken, melted or chafed wiring and repair as needed. If ok, then replace the ECT sensor

It is located at the lower front of left cylinder head - see attachments

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 2 months ago.

At this time, unless you have a related followup question on this at this time, please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.