Ron Z.
Ron Z., - GMC Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & GM Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

Overheating, coolant level was good. no leaks it was fine

Customer Question

overheating
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: coolant level was good. no leaks it was fine yesterday morning today i have no heat and the temp keeps rising then falling
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 2011 gmc terrain 4 cyl awd
JA: Are you fixing your Terrain yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: got a thermostat tdoay. was looking for directions how to easily change it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: 102k miles
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: GM
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 21 days ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and prepare your answer.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
i checked the coolant
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 21 days ago.

Thanks for holding!

The repair manual does not have great detail on this, seeing as it's not a very in-depth job. If you follow the lower radiator hose to where it connects to the engine, this is the thermostat housing. I can provide you with what the repair manual has on this job in a PDF file. Download the PDF file here: https://goo.gl/f5sR75

Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
there is only 1 page on the pdf
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 21 days ago.

Yes. Like I say, the repair manual doesn't give much detail because it's such a simple job. The "box" below the image has the step procedure. The only other procedure associated with this is the removal of the lower radiator hose, which I can provide here: https://goo.gl/rMAkLQ

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
this is not helping
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 21 days ago.

My apologies. Was there a specific spot you needed help with?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
i'll change out the thermostat and go from there
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 21 days ago.

From what you are describing above, I believe the Thermostat is the best place to start. Please remember to use the stars at the top of the page and leave a rating for our Q&A today!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 19 days ago.

Hi! I noticed this Q&A was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer? Did you find my answer helpful?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 18 days ago.

..

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
chain was broken on the water pump. please stop messaging me