Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I was driving my car today and the check engine light came

Customer Question

I was driving my car today and the check engine light came on. I went to the local auto parts store and had codes pulled and it came up oil pressure sensor, and multiple misfires. 2 hours later the check engine light started flashing, stabletrak light started flashing, service stabletrack reading came on, the car sputters when in gear at idle and you can hear it in the exaust pipe and the smell of gas is so strong. Really strong. Now when I start to drive the car the light stops flashing and it's just solid but the car drives fine when driving. Any thoughts?
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

How many miles now?

This issue could be anything from plugs, carbon buildup, injectors, valve lifter failure etc.

To have oil pressure sensor codes AT THE SAME TIME as the misfire codes is not a good sign.

Needs a more thorough diagnosis from a GM technician.

Gary

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
200,000. So when you say that's not a good sign what is the worst case scenario? It still drives good when I'm actually driving over 10 mph
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

With some small misfires, they are more evident at idle low speed, and less evident once driving.

Worst case scenario is replace engine, from when roller lifters rotate and damage the camshaft etc. The metallic failure goes through the oil pump.

I've seen some that log codes for individual cylinders, then pull the valve covers and observe said valves inoperable.

I would let a good GM tech local to you perform some further diagnosis.

I hope this helps.

Gary

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Looks like I might be driving it to a dealer and buying a new gm. Could it be something simple such as plugs, wires, coil?
Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

Yes, it could be something simple.

But with 200k on it now, it thought it best to tell you some bad scenarios.

I would book it with your local dealer, some diagnosis from them will let you decide on which path to take.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary