Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician
94707146

Gear shift button will not go in to shift from park. I can

Customer Question

Gear shift button will not go in to shift from park. I can hear the solenoid click when I press the brake but the mechanism will not go all the way down.
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?
Customer: 2003. Brake switch seems to be working.
JA: What is the model of your '03 GM?
Customer: Envoy.
JA: Are you fixing your Envoy yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked to make sure the brake is engaging the solenoid. I tried to press the button on the solenoid myself but still doesn't release.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't believe so...
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: GM
Expert:  Dan replied 29 days ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 29 days ago.

Its the shift control cable it needs to be replaced. The part number is ***** I can send you the procedure for replacing it from the service manual if you would like. There is also an adjustment procedure for the cable.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Why would it not release by pressing the solenoid button manually?
Expert:  Dan replied 29 days ago.

The cable is for not being able to shift into park, if you cannot shift out of park then you need to replace the shift lock solenoid.

Expert:  Dan replied 29 days ago.

Try disconnecting the shift cable from the shift lever and see if you can manually shift out of park.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I have a Trailblazer of the same year and released the gear shift by pressing the solenoid button without the key in successfully. This should eliminate anything electrical. It seems something is blocking the mechanism from going all the way down when the button is pressed.
Expert:  Dan replied 29 days ago.

You may have to remove the gear shift lever assembly and take apart to find the problem. Disassemble and inspect. You may need to replace the shift lever assembly.