tim's auto repair
tim's auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  owns a repair shop....25 years
14541291

2002 GMC Yukon. Security lights flash, battery light also.

Customer Question

2002 GMC Yukon. Security lights flash, battery light also. Bell ding in background and no cranking. Good battery.
JA: Have you checked the battery's voltage?
Customer: Yes almost 13. Steady 12 with all off.
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Nothing tried yet.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Possible security system issue?
Category: GM
Expert:  tim's auto repair replied 7 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

are you saying the starter motor want turn the engine?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No cranking or clicks.

when and how did this problem first begin?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just got the vehicle. I was cleaning it up. Started it and drove it around. When I used the key fob to lock and unlock the doors the problem started.

ok

did you try un;locking the doors with the remote?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No change.

ok

use the key and unlock the drivers door with it

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm not near the car now. I'll have to do it later.

ok

and,,be sure you have the mater key

the master key

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will do. Should that correct the issue?

yes,,it should if the lock cylinder isnt bad..be sure you use the ooriginal key

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK Thanks.

if that doesnt work,you may need to do the relearn procedure

IMPORTANT: When replacing a theft deterrent control module with a GM Service Parts Operation (SPO) Replacement Part, the procedure to setup a new theft deterrent control module must be performed prior to the 10 Minute Re-Learn Procedure. TOOLS REQUIRED Tech 2 diagnostic scan tool Procedure To Setup A New Theft Deterrent Control Module Use this procedure only if replacing the theft deterrent control module with a GM Service Parts Operation (SPO) Replacement Part. 1. Connect the Tech 2 diagnostic scan tool to the vehicle. 2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. 3. With the scan tool, select Setup New VTD Module in the Vehicle Theft Deterrent, Special Functions data list. 4. Follow the scan tool on screen instructions. IMPORTANT: ^ When replacing a theft deterrent control module with a GM Service Parts Operation (SPO) Replacement Part, the module will learn keys immediately. The existing PCM however, must learn the new fuel continue password ***** the theft deterrent control module is replaced. ^ When replacing a powertrain control module (PCM) with a GM Service Parts Operation (SPO) Replacement Part, after programming, these modules will learn the incoming fuel continue password ***** upon receipt of a password ***** Once a password ***** is received, and a password ***** ***** a relearn procedure must be performed to change this password ***** A PCM which has been previously installed in another vehicle will have learned the fuel continue password ***** the other vehicles theft deterrent control module and will require performing the 10 Minute Re-Learn Procedure to learn the fuel continue password ***** the current vehicles theft deterrent control modules. ^ When performing the 10 Minute Re-Learn Procedure, all previously learned keys will be erased from the theft deterrent control module's memory. ^ Additional keys may be learned immediately after the 10 Minute Re-Learn Procedure. Refer to Adding keys (Export). ^ When performing the 10 Minute Re-Learn Procedure, 2 master passkey 111+ (PK3+) keys are required. If a gray valet key is learned first, the theft deterrent control module will not allow additional keys to be learned. TOOLS REQUIRED ^ Tech 2 diagnostic scan tool ^ Techline Terminal with current Service Programing System (SPS) software 10 Minute Re-learn Procedure Use this procedure after replacing any of the following components: ^ The passkey III+ (PK3+) keys ^ The theft deterrent control module ^ The PCM, see Important above IMPORTANT: If replacing a theft deterrent control module with a GM Service Parts Operation (SPO) Replacement Part, insure the procedure to setup a new theft deterrent control module has been performed prior to the 10 Minute Re-Learn Procedure. 1. Connect the Tech 2 diagnostic scan tool to the vehicle. 2. With the scan tool, select Request Info. under Service Programing System and follow the scan tool on screen instructions. 3. Disconnect the scan tool from the vehicle and connect it to a Techline Terminal with current Service Programing System (SPS) software. 4. On the Techline Terminal, select Service Programming Systems and follow the Techline Terminal on screen instructions. 5. Disconnect the scan tool from the Techline Terminal and re-connect it to the vehicle. 6. With a master passkey III+ (Pk3+) key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. 7. With the scan tool, select Program ECU under Service Programing System. 8. At this point the scan tool must remain connected for the duration of the 10 Minute Re-Learn Procedure. 9. Observe the SECURITY telltale or the scan tool on screen timer, after approximately 10 minutes the scan tool timer will expire and/or the telltale will turn off. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the key information and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. 10. Turn OFF the ignition and wait 5 seconds. 11. With a master passkey III+ (PK3+) key, start the vehicle, the theft deterrent control module has now learned the key transponder information and the PCM has now learned the fuel continue password. 12. Turn OFF the ignition and wait 15 seconds minimum. 13. With a second master passkey 111+ (PK3+) key, start the vehicle, the theft deterrent control module has now learned the second master passkey 111+ (PK3+) key transponder information. 14. Learning Additional keys, if required. Refer to Adding Keys (Export). 15. With the scan tool, clear any DTCs.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Damn! That's a handful. I have the tools to do it, hopefully I won't have to.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will do on the rating.

thanks