EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE L1 L2
34559540

We bought a 2012 Buick Enclave in Aug of 2013. I Aug of 2015

Customer Question

We bought a 2012 Buick Enclave in Aug of 2013. I Aug of 2015 we experienced a problem with our sound system. We noticed at that time there was a leak on the drivers side of the
vehicle. KingGM in Longmont, Colo. where we bought the car replaced the radio amp. but was't sure what caused the problem . Last week we had the same problem and now they are saying that it must be a leak in the window causing this amp. to be blown. Now they have to replace the windshield, the audio amplifier , the fuse box and the wiring of
harness for a total of $ 3100. We are told that the warranty doesn't cover any of this. Now they are saying that is must be a leak in the windshield and it also need to replaced. We have never had the original windshield replaced. My question is: What if it a leak somewhere else in the car causing this water to short this all this out and this could all happen again. Thanks for any "light" you can shine on this.
Category: GM
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 5 months ago.

Hi. GM does have a service bulletin on having a water leak from the windshield that drips onto the fuse panel. And does cause various electrical issues. This service bulletin is covered under the GM bumper to bumper warranty. Do you still have bumper to bumper warranty?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just found out that our bumper to bumper warranty has expired. The first time this happened we did have this. At that time the windshield was not replaced. I believe that if this is the case of these electrical issues why the windshield was not replaced. We were told then that they did not know why this problem happened.

it is possible that there was a water leak from somewhere else. I can not speak for what the dealer did. Or didnt do. But there is a known concern with the windshield leaking causing the fuse box to need to be replaced. The same bulletin has the mechanic check for leaks from the sunroof drain as well (if equipped). You can ask the dealer why the windshield was not replaced in the first place. Maybe they can offer some assistance with the cost of the repair for you.

Thanks for letting me assist you. At this point please rate the assistance provided or continue to ask more questions on this issue. After rating my assistance the question will remain open for further follow up questions. Thank you.