Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles

2002 Pontiac grand Prix 3.1 SE. I rebuilt the in in process

Customer Question

2002 Pontiac grand Prix 3.1 SE. I rebuilt the in in process and the oil control rings it is a 3 PIECE are bigger then the Original ones seems but I think they are because they are worn or maybe the wrong ones . I cannot put the psiton with the new oil rngs inside the block but old ones I can I have a set of Mahle 41865CP type. I had the block honed recently.
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: GM
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I have new rings and same pistons and recently honed block just the oil rings or control rings get stuck when trying to install into the block. Not sure what can do or try
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 5 days ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

So with a ring compressor you cannot compress them enough? I am confused

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Correct my 3rd oil ring wil not compress the two outer rings. The block was honed recently. The old rings will fit fine
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 5 days ago.

do you have a ring compressor?

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 5 days ago.

If you remove the metal outer rings do they fit in block flat alone? What is your ring end gap?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
wonder why old ones fit good
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
When i install them the new ones look bigger can i send pic to you
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 5 days ago.

You didn't answer my question. Are you using a ring compressor? yes you can send pic

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 5 days ago.

have you fitted the rings on the cylinder and measured ring end gap?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I fitted the rings in cylinder and need to measure. They fit right in
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I will take better pic when get home
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 4 days ago.

Remove ring and fit in cylinder without piston. My immediate suspicion is that your oil groove needs to be cleaned. I would suggest soaking the pistons in some strong cleaner.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi, please opt out of the question page, I need an answer from a different GM Expert. Thanks