Gary
Gary, GMC Technician
Experience:  15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech
19513769

2002 gmc Envoy Slt. About 8 months ago engine light would

Customer Question

Good day,
2002 gmc Envoy Slt. About 8 months ago engine light would come on and engine would run rough and stall when at idle. Had vehicle to 3 different repair shops, all with different nswers and head shacking.
About a month ago one of the air springs let loose. Having a partial state mechanics license and a roll chest of SnapOn I decided to do the repair myself. At 71 and fixed income I opted to replace the air sprigs with a coil spring kit. Pulled fuse for air compressor, installed kit, check engine light went off, vehicle ran fine, even the mileage went up.
About two weeks ago upper control arm broke on right side. Found left side also broken. Replaced the two arms, unplugged height sensors and removed them. Now the check engine light came back on and occasionally the vehicle stalls at idle. Local shops says no correlation between suspension and engine performance.
Any insight and help would be helpful.
Thank you for your time,
***** *****
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

can you tell me the code numbers it is setting in the computer ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, no.The check engine light was not on or off all the time. It fluctuated between SERVICE and off. Drove it yesterday afternoon, short trip, light was on, engine stalled at idle twice. Drove it this morning the light was off, drove fine.One repair shop had a code for Air Fuel sensor
One repair shop found no error code
One repair shop had a list of about 8 codes and said they thought the timing chain was going bad, drive the vehicle until it stops and have it towed away. That was about 5 months ago.I can wait till the light comes back on and get the codes read if necessary. Question still remains does the Air Spring system have something to do with engine performance? Or is it just coincidence. It ran great once I disconnected the air compressor. A hiccup when I unplugged the height sensors and removed them from the vehicle.Sorry, never studied new electronic systems. If you need a small journal 283 bored to 301 I can do it but stopped wrenching about 30 years ago.Thank you for your time, have a great day.
Salty Dog Marine
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

if it came on there still should be code set in the history

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Good Day,I will try a d get the codes read early next week and will get back to you as soon as possible.Thank you for your time and patience.
***** *****
Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

ok let me know

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 4 months ago.

how are you making out ?

dont forget to rate us here