GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

I installed a new throttle body (720CFM) with a matched pair

Customer Question

I installed a new throttle body (720CFM) with a matched pair of Injectors and an Adjustable Fuel Regulator, I have a Fuel Pressure Gage on the Input Line...Truck runs extremely rich, idles poorly and has trouble staring. I know this engine is supposed to have 26=32PSI fuel pressure.
JA: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: Brand new engine, with less than 5K miles, recently serviced and tuned up. It does have a Deeper stroke Crankshaft, an RV Cam and domed pistons, with 10:1 compression ratio
JA: What is the model of your '10 GM?
Customer: 1995 GMC k3500 SLE Extended Cab with the 5-Speed manual transmission, A/C , pwer steering
JA: Are you fixing your 3500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I had a mechanic rebuild the engine last year, after which the increased compression started causing Computer errors that caused too rich an idel,etc. I have had good mechanics working on it right up to the new Throttle-body install, which I did myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm thinking the truck may have too low a pressure Fuel pump installed (it's an in-tank fuel-pump). How do I figure out the right Pressure adjustment for this new fuel pressure regulator so I can get it over to a guy who builds custom computer chips for stepped-up engine rebuilds...?
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: GM
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 21 days ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer. ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also give you all of the information you may need in good faith expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

What size engine do you have?