Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 - Heating & Electronic systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

Is it possible that having a bad starter May of drained a

Customer Question

Is it possible that having a bad starter May of drained a brand new battery? Also with the dead battery right after came the anti theft light on I have a 2007 Yukon Denali
Category: GM
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

1-yes if you have a bad starter it can drain the battery

2- the no communication with Computer is an issue , check all fuse if you have not already .

3- we have to have a good 12 volt battery with no draw on it to have the key programmed.

if you cant communicate with pcm , then we cant program the key

Battery Drainage Test

1- Voltmeter
2- settings on voltmeter will be on milli amps.
3- go across all the fuses in the car and see which one is reading higher than 0.3 to 0.5 milli amps
than that will be the fused circuit we need to address for drainage .

4- can you read other modules in the car other than the computer or no communication on all of them ,like the abs unit with your scanner .

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The battery was brand new and replaced yesterday but even having the door open for one minute, completely drains it. But before installing the new battery all kind of service messages came on.
-service battery charging system
-service stalitrak
And some other I can't remember.After installing new battery I tried programming method, but nothing worked. I then called a locksmith who said he could reprogram entire truck but he had no luck getting any computers to make connection with my truck. He mentioned possibly the BCM, but before I do that I wanna make sure if the starter is an option? Which may sound dumb because I should of checked that after the battery I guess.
Also after installing new battery while sitting in the truck and trying to switch the key to on, nothing would come on no lights nothing.... So me thinking the battery was dead I turned on the lights inside and then boom the whole dash board came on like normal but still no crank or anything.I will check all fuses and get back to you shortly.Thank you.

ok sounds good let me know

yes let narrow it down a little .

the bcm ,starter ,instrument cluster rear electrical connector , anti theft module all could cause this etc..

also check the alternator wire & if alternator internal diode is open it will drain that battery ,that is a big drain

also check the cable from battery to starter fro being loose or corroded .

we need to fix that battery drain before we do anything .

we can worry about programming later.

Chad

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I'm on that.
Thanks

you welcome

Chad