Ron Z.
Ron Z., - GMC Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & GM Diagnostics/Repair

Sift level won't work, Hummer h2 2009 sit, Nothing yet, No

Customer Question

Sift level won't work
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: Hummer h2 2009 sit
JA: Are you fixing your H2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GM
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today.

Is the shifter not releasing from Park? Or does the shifter move freely but doesn't change from Park?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Don't release from park
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Ok, great. Thanks. Give me one moment to load in your vehicle and grab some information. Be right back.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you help me via txt I don't want to pay 50+
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Yes. Typing your answer... hang in there...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Ok. When the shifter will not release from Park, first, check the brake lights to see if they are working when you step on the brake pedal. If the lights are not working, check the fuse labeled "STOP LAMPS". If the fuse is good, then the problem will lie in the Brake Light Switch. This switch controls the brake lights, but also sends a signal to the shift interlock telling it to release when the brake pedal is depressed. The switch is located under the driver's side dash, mounted to the top of the brake pedal arm. Inspect the switch mount and contact points for any broken or misaligned parts. If the inspection checks ok, replacing the switch will solve the problem.

If the brake lights are working, the problem will lie in the shift interlock system. The interlock solenoid will need to be tested and the shifter assembly inspected for any broken items.

If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated!
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where is the selenoid
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

The interlock solenoid is built onto the shifter assembly. To gain access, the floor console will need to be removed. This will provide access to the solenoid and the mechanical of the shifter assembly.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer? Did you find my answer helpful?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.