Pete, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealership technician and training.

My 2006 gmc envoy idle low, light dim and stall at stop,

Customer Question

My 2006 gmc envoy idle low , light dim and stall at stop
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: Head light and interior lights also my battery gauge goes down
JA: Are you fixing your Envoy yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Air filter
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GM
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The first thing I would do is remove the air inlet tubing from the throttle body and take a shop rag with brake or carburetor cleaner sprayed on the rag and wipe out the throttle body bore and bore plate cocking open the throttle plate in the throttle body to wipe the carbon out.This causes a low idle issue which can lead to a stall out and dimming lights as well as the charge or battery light coming on as the idle drops.

If this does not resolve the issue here I would check and clean the battery connections as well as have the battery checked/tested to see if it needs replaced and the alternator.A local parts store can test the battery and alternator at no charge to you and usually in less then 10 minutes time.

These are the most common causes for this type of fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also engine vibrate when idling
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

If the idle is low this can make the engine vibrate and low idle is most commonly caused by the carbon build up in the throttle body needing cleaned out or low voltage due to battery cable connection issues or the battery or alternator at fault.

If your check engine light has come on with this issue at all here the first thing that needs done is to have the fault codes read out/checked then diagnosed and repaired.A local parts store like Auto Zone will read out the codes at no charge to you.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I keep my foot on the gas so that the rpm is about 700 , light is ok and battery is charging
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

O.k.,this does sound more like the carbon build up issue in the throttle body then.I suspect it just needs cleaned with a shop rag with carburetor or brake cleaner sprayed on the rag.I have run into this several times before and had to clean it.I have to head out for about an hour but will be back soon if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete