GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Getting the Service Ride Control light. Compressor used to

Customer Question

Getting the Service Ride Control light. Compressor used to run endlessly until it didn't. I'm not sure if the shocks had a leak and the compressor died trying to fill them.
JA: Do you have the trouble code? Do you have a code reader or scan tool?
Customer: No/No
JA: I'll pass this info along to the GM Mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: Looking online says if it's the compressor and/or shocks, could be as much as $2000 if I do it myself. 2006 GMC Yukon Denali
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon Denali yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Was going to check the three fuses and relay this weekend. I think the relay runs about $40
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Also having a battery issue. Seems to be something wrong with the electrical. Slow drain. Kids left the light on the other day and drained it, but even after a jump, I am now getting a battery light on the DIC.
Category: GM
Expert:  Ryan Schott replied 3 months ago.

The battery light will stay on till you have a fully charged battery and shut it off then restart it. leaking shocks are the leading cause of compressor failure, sadly i suspect this is the issue as it is very common. You can just replace the compressor and move the ride height sensors to a position where it thinks its okay and the compressor will not run but then you don't have airbags effectively.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no recalls on what seems to be a very widely known problem?Since we know that the compressor was running non-stop before it stopped and I got the DIC light, would I be wasting my time trying to check the fuses and relay?

it was overrunning due to a leak or a failed exhaust valve, you may have a fuse that blew eventually but the compressor will most likely need to be replaced, I think there were some aftermarket companies making kits for the compressor so its worth looking around. No there isn't a recall for them sadly. first disconnect your battery cables and touch then together for a minute then hook it all back up and see if your compressor runs, there is a chance it has a code like c0660 in it and that told it to turn off. If it comes on spray soapy water on your airbags and look for bubbles