GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

2011 Chevrolet Duramax with a Poor Quality Exhaust Fluid

Customer Question

2011 Chevrolet Duramax with a Poor Quality Exhaust Fluid message and the vehicle is limited to 55mph now. DEF fluid tank is full with Peak DEF fluid and same message and 55 mph limit imposed.
JA: How many miles are on the car? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: Can I reset it myself and get back on the road at normal highway speeds. If not how many miles can I go before it goes not limp mode at 5MPH???
JA: What is the model of your '11 Chevrolet?
Customer: 2011 Silverado 2500 HD 2WD LT
JA: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Filled DEF tank to capacity. Removed both positive end battery cables hoping to reset computer.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GM
Expert:  Jesse Southard replied 1 month ago.

Hi I am Jesse I will be glad to try and help you. I looked up the poor quality message. It is usually set due to a problem in the system other than the fluid. Have you had codes checked? If not this is our first step. until we know exactly what code I stored in the system it will be almost impossible to diagnose your concern. do you have a way of getting them checked? autozone or advance autp parts can usually pull the code #'s for you for free.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have not had the codes pulled. Truck has about 75000 miles on it. EZ miles not a work truck by any means

Yes it doesn't have to be hard miles. Probably just a sensor going bad. unfortunately they can fail under even the best of conditions