GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Trying to bypass the factory security system, 2000 GMC

Customer Question

trying to bypass the factory security system
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 2000 GMC Yukon
JA: Are you fixing your Yukon yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I had to change the steering column because they tryed to steel it and they broke the ignition key housing
JA: Do you have a backup key? Maybe the emergency kind that fits in your wallet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i have the key to the new steering column but it only runs for 2 seconds and it stops
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: GM
Expert:  Jesse Southard replied 1 month ago.

in the passlock system on your Yukon there isn't any way to bypass the security. It uses the Bcm and the Pcm to disable and prevent theft. if the key that you have for the new column is a passlock key the only thing that needs to be done is a reprogram of the security system. I am attaching a relearn procedure tht you can do there at home. put a battery charger on the battery on low charge while performing so battery doesn't die. Let me know if you have any trouble. Thanks, Jesse

30 Minute Re-Learn Procedure

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).

IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

1. Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password)