Ron Z.
Ron Z., - GMC Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & GM Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

08 GMC Sierra 4.8 liter code p069E can't hear the fuel pump

Customer Question

08 GMC Sierra 4.8 liter code p069E can't hear the fuel pump coming on and it won't start
Category: GM
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today.

The P069E is a fairly straight forward code pointing to a problem with the Fuel Pump Control Module. The module is located under the vehicle, above the spare tire. Remove the spare to gain access (for an image location view, click here: http://goo.gl/hs6NYj). Carefully inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires (inspect carefully, a rubbed-through wire is common). If the visual inspection checks ok, suspect a faulty FPCM. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will having a bad FPCM cause the truck not to start?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Yes. The FPCM is directly responsible for fuel pump operation. When faulty, the fuel pump itself will not get the voltage needed to operate. This is the reason you cannot hear the fuel pump prime and run.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can I get a FPCM from a junkyard and plug it straight in and fix the problem?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately, no. A FPCM will need to be programmed after replacement. You "can" get one from a salvage yard, however, I really don't recommend it. These are common fail items on these vehicles. Getting a used one means a short life span, and you'll be back in this situation very quickly. You can replace the item yourself, but then like I say, it will need to be programmed. The best option is the Dealer, however, these days, many local shops also have the correct scan-tool to program it.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just wondering if it has to be programmed or not
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

(scroll up, I answered that in my last reply)

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Yeah I sent that before I seen your reply
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

LOL! Yeah, my fingers are a little slow. Still haven't finished the morning coffee yet! LOL!