Gary
Gary, GMC Technician
Experience:  15 years gm master tech/15 years ASE master tech
19513769

Just had transmission replaced 2wks ago, soon as I got it

Customer Question

Just had transmission replaced 2wks ago, soon as I got it back service*****came on, today it went into 4 Low on it's own and no matter the button I pressed it wouldn't switch out of 4 Low.
JA: When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: What? No transmission was replaced, I got vehicle back on August 3rd. I was told transmission has nothing to do w/ 4wd?
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 03 Yukon XL 1500
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'll take it to dealership on Sep 1st, but want to know what to do when it switches to 4 LO assuming driving even neighborhood roads like that can't be ok? I'm the guy u give a screwdriver and I brake everything
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No just had transmission replaced on 8/3, right after getting it back the check engine light came on, which was told that is likely because it wasn't reset once the transmission was installed, then a few days later the service 4wd came on, and now 3wks later it wont go out of 2LO
Category: GM
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

is it still in 2LO ?

Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

i mean 4 LO ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not in car at Starbucks since I'm traveling so kinda in a spot
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

can you disconnect both battery cables for 5 minutes then touch the 2 cables together for 1 minute the reconnect the cables will it go back into 2HI ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Mechanics here he's looking at it thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

see if he can pull the encoder motor off the transfercase then shift it into 2HI by hand on the shaft the motor goes on then you can drive it back home to get it to the shop

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

how are you making out ?