Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience GM certified
2947720

Have a 2002 2500 and the security light is on. Engine won't

Customer Question

Have a 2002 2500 and the security light is on. Engine won't start. Sounds like it wants to briefly but doesn't really fire. Fuel was really low and may have been totally empty when I ft tied starting, but it has at least about 3 gallons now. And was running fine before that.
Category: GM
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Do you hear the fuel pump come on for 2 seconds when the key is first turned on?

Do you know what the fuel pressure is?

How did you reset the passkey system?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do hear on when the key is turned.
I do not know what the fuel pressure is.
Tried starting it. Then turned key to on position for 10 minutes. Then off for 5 secs. Did that three times.
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

I see, thanks. Did the security light go off after the 10 minutes?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No it did not
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the battery doesn't have a full charge. Will that prevent a reset
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

It will if it goes very close to dead. Can you read the trouble codes to see if there are any VTD system codes?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No I'm not able to read the codes. The battery did end up dying
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
But it's charged now
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

I see, you may want to keep a charger on it while doing the Passkey relearn on it. Let me post a link to the factory instructions, thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/csy9ge30x6krjnl/LEARN%20PROCEDURES.pdf?dl=0

Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Did that work?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No. i had an electronic key fob on that key ring for the first time. Would that have affected it? My wife has the other key and I'm waiting for her. Hoping that will make a difference??
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

That shouldn't matter with the Passkey sensor, it doesn't need a key fob in order to work. Let me see if I have any tests for the VTD system.

Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

I do have the test for, "Security Indicator Always On Or Flashing" which does require a scan tool.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where do I find the scan tool? Is it something I can buy or just have to take truck in?
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 months ago.

Actually a good scanner that is comparable to the Tech 2 used by GM is very expensive and it doesn't pay to buy on unless you are in the business. Just for the sake of software and application hangups, did you try taking the negative battery cable off for about 10 minutes of so to maybe clear out any problems?