Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Dealer Auto Technician

My 2011 GMC Yukon Denali side mirrors won't fold in and out.

Customer Question

My 2011 GMC Yukon Denali side mirrors won't fold in and out. They can be power adjusted and the turn signal lights are on, but after folding a few times, they stopped. the right one, I can hear the motor, but the left nothing. Any ideas?
Category: GM
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have heard that the gear that turns them are cheap and can be broken very easily. If the motor is running, but it isn't moving, it may be the gear. This is something I found worked as replacements for the cheap OEM gears:, again, I can't hear the motor in the left mirror -- only in the right.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Yes, the gears can easily break but if the motor is not working then I would suspect a failed motor. You should check the voltage at the connector when the switch is pressed. If you have voltage then the motor is bad, if no voltage I would look into a wiring issue or broken wire to the mirror motor.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Do you need a wiring diagram for the power mirrors?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sure. There are mechanics here, but I don't trust them, so I'd like to get my second opinion first. If you send me the diagram, I guess I'll take it to a mechanic here and he can check.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
does that mean I would need to replace the driver's side motor for the mirror housing? That is a different motor than for the mirror adjustment, right?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Yes but I would check for power first to make sure its the motor and not the wiring.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello again Dan here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated.

This question is coming up on 7 days which means it will close.

You have already paid to get this question answered, but you have not rated.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else I can help you with?

If I did not give you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

I do not get compensated for my time and resources unless you rate me.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Dan,Sorry, I didn't know that. I was waiting for my parts to arrive before I tried stuff out. However, I guess you need to close this question right? I'll go check the electrical first, but is there any way to check without actually owning a voltmeter or something like that?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

No way to check with out a meter. The question times out in 7 days. which is tomorrow so we have time.