Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Interior lights won't go off on my GMC Yukon. I've

Customer Question

interior lights won't go off on my GMC Yukon. I've disconnected the fuse to temporarily fix the problem. I've also replaced both front door switches but problem is still there? I'm debating replacing rear door switches too but still have rear and I had thought most used would be most likely to have failed....not the case.
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: definitely not in any manual
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 1998 --- I know buy a new one but it runs great no engine or tranny issues
JA: What year is your GM?
Customer: I've read everything from the fob relay, to switches etc....but no real solution other than bringing car in to check for a short?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I was hopeful to fix myself......Replaced both front door switches. Not sure if replacing rear switches would for sure fix it? after reading on line I don't think so.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no that's pretty much it. Did try turning off courtesy lights with rotary switch but door lights are still on??
Category: GM
Expert:  Clayso replied 4 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

From your description most likely the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Module is keeping the interior lamps on. The link below is the RKE's location. The RKE is located under the center of the instrument panel.

RKE Location

The image displayed shows a interior lamp control module also. On vehicle with remote keyless entry there is no interior lamp control module. Disconnect the RKE module and let me know if the interior lamps stay on. I also know of shorts to power in the overhead console.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks.