virtual technician
virtual technician, ASE certified Master Technician
Experience:  Over 13 years repairing import and domestic vehicles

I have a 2004 gmc envoy where the shifter is stuck in

Customer Question

I have a 2004 gmc envoy where the shifter is stuck in neutral will not go in park or drive you can take the key out
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: You can turn steering wheel and crank up car just can't get it out of neutral
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Would like to but can get it towed to a shop
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Category: GM
Expert:  virtual technician replied 3 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.So to help you better I need a little more information.
Does the gear shifter move thru the gears but the transmission just stays in neutral?If so the cable most likely popped off the transmission.Let me know the answer to the question and I'll continue to help.Thanks
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I cannot get the shifter out of neutral
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My daughter pulled up to our driveway and put the car on neutral and opened the drive gate got back in the car and went to put the car in drive and the center console shifter will not move into drive
Ok, so does the button on the shifter push in ok?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The button does not go in at all
Ah ok. So the center consol is going to have to be taken apart. It's not easy to get to the mechanism in the shifter. May I ask how mechanical you are?
I only ask so I know what to recommend. Do you feel comfortable taking it apart?
Expert:  virtual technician replied 2 months ago.
Do you still need help with this problem? Please let me know.