Derek Werner
Derek Werner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced level specialist

I have a 2013 GMC Terrain. The car has been running great

Customer Question

I have a 2013 GMC Terrain. The car has been running great until today. I ran it most of the morning no issues. This afternoon the it was completely dead. I got it jumped and ran it, worked fine. Parked the car and then 20 minutes later dead again? Thoughts
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: trying to get an idea of what the issue is
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: GM
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer!

It is possible for the battery to not hold a charge after going dead.

When was the battery last replaced? A average lifespan for a battery is 5 years.

Also it is possible the onstar module is causing the drain. Does the car have onstar?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it does have on star but it is not hooked up

ok thanks, ***** ***** possible for year year of vehicle to have a battery drain due to a failing onstar module.

Does the on star respond when depressing the button?

Is the LED indicator lit?

Also what about the battery? A failed battery is the most likely cause.

I recommend having the battery tested. Most auto parts stores can do this for free.

Also when the car is shut off ensure there are no interior lights on in the vehicle.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok thanks for your help

Also if the onstar does not respond and the LED is not illuminated. Then it is likely the module is causing the battery to drain.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Here is the information about the onstar concern.

Condition/Concern In very rare cases, some customers may comment on a dead battery or a no start condition and there may also be no OnStar LED light (after the vehicle has been restarted for at least a minute). A 380♦mA drain from the OnStar Module may be a cause of this condition. Recommendation/Instructions Perform the Battery Electrical Drain/Parasitic Load Test per the published procedure in SI. If the parasitic draw is close to 380♦mA, remains for more than 10 minutes, the OnStar LED light is not lit and there is no response to an OnStar button press, even while the vehicle is running, pull the fuse on the OnStar circuit or disconnect the OnStar module connector (when OnStar fuse powers multiple modules) and verify the parasitic current drops to normal levels. For vehicles that have the OnStar module between other GMLAN modules in the LAN circuits, it will be necessary to jumper the LAN terminals at the OnStar module connector. If the parasitic current drops to normal levels, replace the OnStar communication interface module. Note: The reason that the parasitic current must remain for at least 10 minutes is because the OnStar module sometimes will connect to the OnStar back office in power off mode to upload data for the OnStar® monthly emails.

If you could kindly rate my service it would be very appreciated. I will continue to work with you even after rated, and get notifications about any other questions you may have. I only strive for 5 star excellent service, Thank you for being a great customer.

Derek W

I am just checking back in. Have I answered all of your questions? If you need any other help please let me know.