john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech

There's been a rattling noise when the engine is on, and the

Customer Question

There's been a rattling noise when the engine is on, and the vehicle stalls sometimes in low RPMs.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: The rattling noise is maybe a couple of weeks. I originally thought it was something on my floor, but then it started stalling. It sounds like it's coming from the front passenger side
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 2011 Terrain
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: The only thing I've done is added oil--It was a little low. I'm still in the diagnostic/research phase. I am probably not planning on fixing it myself, I'm not very good with cars.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: When it stalls, it starts right back up without any problem. But after the restart, there's a smell of gas coming from the vents for a few moments.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 3 months ago.

is the engine light on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, the engine light is not on.

would you know if it was coming from the tming chain area dn do you know if it is under warranty?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The sound seems to be coming from the front-passenger side of the car. It sounds a little like a pebble rattling in an aluminum can. I don't believe it's still under warranty.

sounds to me like the timing chain may be loose or a bad guide/ tensioner which should be checked out and listened to by a mechanic because you dont want it to jump time because that can lead to further damage from your description that is what it sounds like from your discription.

please rate my service 5 stars so i can get paid for my service and if you have any further questions please dont hesitate to ask as i am still at your disposal for what ever you need in regards ***** ***** issue