Joe  Barfield
Joe Barfield, Master High-Tech

1988 gmc c25 camper special, drove find all day, turned off.

Customer Question

1988 gmc c25 camper special, drove find all day, turned off. Then went to start, and nothing. No gauge lights, no click of a dying battery. Just nothing. blower fans works fine, head lights work fine. just nothing to starting the truck
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Which fuse would it be, very hard to see up in there. Is there one for starting systems? And why would it wait until we stopped and turned off the truck to go bad. We started at least four times in the last two hours?
JA: What is the model of your '88 GM?
Customer: c25 with a 350 two wheel drive camper special
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have fixed some issues with the truck. But I'm lost with electrical issues. It is really hard to get to the fuses. Or would this be a relay type of issues
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: its an old truck, but we have been updating parts as we go. We have a regular person we take it to, but it has been running when we go to him.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  Joe Barfield replied 3 months ago.

Hi , so have you ever tried to jump start a GM by crossing the starter poles ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, not sure what you mean by starter poles

ok , on top of the starter is the solenoid.....which is where the hot or positive side of the battery cable is .......if it has 12 should need a starter & solenoid ever you can touch the largest stud on the solenoid to the smallest & it should at least click or turn the engine over.......

just touch it over with small screwdriver from large stud to the small one

I have one more way to try it after this.......make sure its in park for sure before you try it with the screwdriver

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Just got home from work, and the truck run with no problem. I have no idea what is going on with it.

just have to wait & see