Ron Z.
Ron Z., - GMC Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & GM Diagnostics/Repair

1996 suburban cranks yet will not start, yup ...newer

Customer Question

1996 suburban cranks yet will not start
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: yup ...newer battery
JA: What is the model of your '96 GM?
Customer: suburban
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ran the code on a CP9125 comes up "no link"
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no ...
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 months ago.

If the engine is turning over but not starting, there are a couple of things to check. First, check for spark. While turning the engine over, remove a spark plug wire and see if there is spark jumping from the wire to the plug. If there is no spark, remove the wire from the ignition coil while cranking the engine. If there is no spark leaving the coil, the problem may be the ignition control module. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness to the module for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspectiopn checks ok, replace the ICM.

If there is spark, then fuel pressure will need to be tested. With the key on and engine off, the fuel pressure should be between 56-62 psi. If the fuel pressure is not within specs, check the filter and make sure it is not clogged. If the fuel filter is good, the fuel pump will need to be replaced.

If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.