Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified with 25+ years experience.

2005 yukon xl, outside temp 98 or gher. The car has now

Customer Question

2005 yukon xl, outside temp 98 or higher. The car has now stalled completely on two different occasions. changed the fuel pump last year. getting p0452, p0131, p0151 codes. little less than 1/2 a tank of gas.
JA: Have you scanned the code? Have you tried to reset it?
Customer: Yes, after 15-20 minutes car will restart and i can drive away.
JA: What is the model of your '05 GM?
Customer: yukon xl 1500 5.3L
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, a lot! Had a cylinder 5 bad lifter for 3 three years. replaced that, you should see it. got coolant in the exhaust, burned thick white smoke for over 2 weeks, think I burned out the Cats. Getting low efficiency cat codes for a few weeks now. I've replaced the both up stream O2 sensors.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Just that it has a new fuel pump that's just over 1 year old.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

First of all, I believe you might have a blown head gasket and that is the reason for the coolant in the exhaust.

Give me a second to lookup those codes.

When it stalls and doesn't restart, can you hear the fuel pump run when you first turn the key to run?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Although it probably don't matter, but is this the C1500 (2wd) or K1500(4wd)?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

P0452 refers to the fuel tank pressure sensor and low voltage.

Here is a test for it,

P0131 and P0151 both refer to the O2 sensor circuits, P0131 being HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 1 Sensor 1 and P0151 HO2S Circuit Low Voltage Bank 2 Sensor 1 and here is that test.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

I suppose i's also possible to have an intake manifold gasket leaking coolant if there is coolant in both exhaust pipes, that is of course if it's dual exhaust.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
C1500, brand new head gaskets. I had a bad lifter, changed that a 6 weeks ago. When taking off the heads I got coolant down the exhaust pipe. That has since burned off, but I may have caused damage to the cats. Replaced both up stream O2 sensors, still getting low efficiency codes from bank 1. Looking at changing the cats later, but biggest issues is the stalling. When it stalls, the outside temp is over 95 degrees, I haven't been able to crawl under the car to listen for the fuel pump because the car is sitting in the middle of the street. It will start after I let it sit for 20 minutes.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

You should be able to remove the gas cap and put your ear up to the fill hole and have someone else turn the key to run, in order to listen if the fuel pump runs or not.

If at any time when it stalls or won't run, wiggle the fuel pump relay and feel if it's loose in the socket and while you are at it, replace it anyhow.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The relay is tight. When it stalls, it sounds like it's starving for fuel. Could the "fuel tank pressure sensor" be causing this issue?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

I don't think a fault with the sensor would cause the problem but something causing either low/high fuel pressure or none at all, exactly the reason I asked for you to listen if the fuel pump runs or not.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

I think I remember something about the gas cap being loose can cause that code, too. Anyhow, I would try a new gas cap for now.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

I gave you a test procedure for that, I suggest you just follow it, no sense in guessing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Gas cap is less than a month old. I had to get a new one to pass emissions. Why is it throwing codes for the O2 sensors when it stalls?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

I would assume the fuel pump is shutting off.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

Do you have a scan tool or just a code reader and if you do have a scan tool will it allow you to look at freeze frames like in that test?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What would cause that to happen? I have limited scan tool. I can get some Freeze data and live data too.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 3 months ago.

I was reading through that test procedure, it's all in there. Loose wiring, bad connections, shorts, intermittent problems. etc