Reggie Whiddon
Reggie Whiddon,
Experience:  Lead tech at river regions auto

I changed numerous things on my truck after the fuel pump

Customer Question

Hello I changed numerous things on my truck after the fuel pump and still nothing I sprayed it and it seems like only what I spray inside is barley enough to fire it up. The power wire to the fuel tank showed a weak signal so I put a new one in the pump has more power and still do dice
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is this the original fuel pump?
Customer: 274000 I installed a new pump not the whole assembly
JA: What is the model of your '272000 GM?
Customer: ???? Z71 4x4
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've tried myself installed new pump distributor, throttle sensor and air intake sensor
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Before today I noticed when I turned the key over the pump would only kick some time and it sounded like short cycles to. After I traced the power wire near the driver side fire wall. I unplugged where it connected and ran a new wire and plugged it back into the little wire harness and the pump had lots of power. My ignition was replaced to when I bought the truck and my uncle had to splice into another wire to make it work. I can't even remember what the initial problem with that was
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 3 months ago.
Hello sounds like it's been frustrating so let's get rigjt to work. Now from reading your post am I correct to say you have a no start and when you spray fuel into the throttle plate it will start. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If not you can rent one from auto zone. You have a 2000 model correct? If so your going to need about 60psi
Let's verify fuel is our problem. One thing that is concern to me is some of the wiring you were talking about that had been done, such as the wire you ran to pump and the ignition switch.