Ron Z.
Ron Z., - GMC Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & GM Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

AC is blowing hot air on the drivers side. Tried to

Customer Question

AC is blowing hot air on the drivers side. Tried to "relearn" by setting to coldest for 5 minutes and then hottest for 5 minutes. Lasted a few days and back to blowing hot.
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked the hoses for leaks?
Customer: No leaks and the coolant level is good
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 2004 Denali
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only tried relearning as noted above
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

If the re-learn procedure did not work, or did not last, the more common problem here will be the Air Temp Actuator. It's located under the center/driver's side of the dash. If you have a center console in the vehicle, it will need to be removed to gain access. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If the visual inspection checks ok, remove the Actuator and turn the nib by hand. The temp output should now be correct. If not, the problem lies internal of the HVAC housing. It will need to be removed, opened and the air door repaired as needed. If the temp is correct, replace the Actuator. If you found this answer helpful, please do the right thing and help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 months ago.

..