Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

02 siverado 4.3 this thing has leaked since the day it came

Customer Question

02 siverado 4.3 this thing has leaked since the day it came home. Finally it blew out the water jacket #5 cylinder. Replaced intake manifold no more leaks. After I put it all together it ran a little rough. Went over everything twice replaced all the sensors, crank, maf, etc. Nothing. Changed fuel pump fuel pressure was a little low but it did not improve. So changing the timing gear and chain. Here is the question it seems like there is quite a bit of slap in this chain but I cannot seem to find the timing marks. Are they little triangles that point to each other or are they holes that line up. The cam sprocket has a hole and a triangle. The crank only a triangle pointy little which is right the triangles line up but you never know. Hell I very been working on car 30 years and sometimes there is no uniformity. Must have been built on a Monday or Friday. Any help at all would be appreciated.
Category: GM
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you take a picture of the gears? Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Here you go
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Yes, you are using the correct marks. That marks closest to the teeth are the ones you need to use. For some odd reason different brands make different timing marks. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I know the ECM controls the timing and it ran smooth as glass before the intake leak I just can't think of what else it could be
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

I'm assuming you have double checked firing order? Is it setting any codes?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Firing order is correct it runs great at highway speeds no real drop on mileage it just stumbles in first gear after it changes runs fine. It did throw codes correlation crankshaft so I changed the sensor just to have new one changed the tps as well as any other information could think of
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Have you driven it with new chain/gears yet?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No sir those pics are the old ones I'm hoping the new set will help
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

I think is probably will since you were getting the cam/crank correlation code. Let me know how it goes once replacing. Thanks.