Pete, GMC Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealership technician and training.
14928985

The range on our 2014 Equinox to start the car is less than

Customer Question

the range on our 2014 Equinox to start the car is less than 30 feet away with a clear view of car. I can unlock at a farther distance my using my body as an antenna but not starter.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: 28000 yes
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just research and dealership
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is this occuring with one remote or both remotes for your model here?

What did the dealer tell you on this issue here?

Has it started at a longer range in the past before this fault occurred?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Both remotes
Dealer says nothing can be done
Range has always be approx same
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Here is the info on the range I show for your model here:

The keyless entry transmitters are used to perform various entry functions while away from the immediate are of the vehicle. Keyless entry functions may work at up to 20 m (65 ft) away from the vehicle. Ambient conditions may affect the performance of the keyless entry transmitter and reduce the range at which keyless entry functions operate.

I have seen reduced range with other radio inteference components as well as certain weather conditions cause a short range.Most of the time you wont see the 65 foot range as I never have even on a new vehicle for remote start:

A low transmitter battery or radio frequency interference from aftermarket devices, such as 2-way radios, power inverters, computers, etc., may cause a system malfunction. High radio frequency traffic areas, such as gas stations that use pay-at-the-pump radio frequency transponders, may also cause interference that could lead to a malfunction.

The only thing you can really do here is ask to see a like model at the dealer to see how far the range is on that model and compare it to yours.If it is the same or close to the same then this is the way it is designed unfortunately.In some cases a local electronics facility that installs radios as well as after market remote starts may have a range extender they may be able to install to extend the range on your model here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete