john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  15 years as a auto tech

I have a 2000 GMC Savanna 1500 van. I just got it from a

Customer Question

I have a 2000 GMC Savanna 1500 van. I just got it from a friend of mine. It ran rough he said. After putting a new battery in it , it started and did r
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Run rough like at least 2 cylinders weren't firing. When I went to pick it up it would not start at all. After I towed it home it started but ran rough. I was going to take it for a drive and when I got on the street it slowly lost power and died. I pulled a spark plug, it has no spark. It does have fuel I can hear pump run and I pushed on shader valve by throttle body and it sprayed pretty good. I have replaced the distributor with a brand new one and also replaced the ignition coil. Can you give some advice?
JA: What is the model of your '00 GM?
Customer: Savanna 1500 4.3 v6
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Did you get my message?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 4 months ago.

Hello, have you pulled the diagnostic trouble codes yet, if so what arre they?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No, do I need an analyzer?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 4 months ago.

have you pulled codes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do I need an analyzer for that?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Will that show codes by flashing check engine light like chrylers used to?

no the key trick will not work

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you