Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

It wont turn over but the lights all come on : Less than a

Customer Question

It wont turn over but the lights all come on
JA: How old is your battery? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: Less than a year
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 2012 gmc terrain slt
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried jumping it
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The obd II indicator light is on
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't know what that means. I used my remote start on the way to the car, got in, put the key in the ignition turned it and it died. All the lights are coming on, but the engine isn't even trying to crank.
Expert:  Matt replied 4 months ago.

OK 1st lift the hood and find the battery, it should have two thick wires going to it 1 red and 1 black

these will be connected to the battery with some some small bolts that may have worked loose

and the tightness of these bolts is what needs checking 1st