Amedee, GMC Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech with advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

My daughter's 2002 Alero a/c isn't working. The freon is

Customer Question

My daughter's 2002 Alero a/c isn't working. The freon is full the compressor clutch is engaging, but the a/c isn't cooling. A mechanic said it is more than likely the orifice tube.
JA: How many miles on the car? Is it the original transmission?
Customer: 98,000 miles What does the transmission got to do with the a/c? Yes original trans.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked freon--full. Checked compressor clutch--engaging . Fans working.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the GM Mechanic should know about your GM?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. YES, if the AC clutch is activating but the AC is not cooling properly, this is likley to be a plug or restriction in the AC system or a bad/weak AC compressor.