GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I have a gmc acadia 08 model. I have taken it to two

Customer Question

Hello Pearl. I have a gmc acadia 08 model. I have taken it to two transmission shops and they both told me the 3/5/reverse plate is failing. I took it to dealership at that time and they told me it was the tcm.
JA: Do you have a manual or an automatic transmission? When was your transmission fluid last checked?
Customer: automatic
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: transmission fluid was checked by one of the transmission shops and they told me it had a LOT of metal shavings in it. The dealership said it was not enough to worry about. Well the acadia has a speacial warranty coverage covering the wave plate. I am not fixing this myself
JA: Is there anything else important you think the GM Mechanic should know about your GM?
Customer: We have told them everything. Even gave them a receipt from one of the transmission ships stating the failure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  GmXavier replied 7 months ago.

Your wave plate broke for sure if there is metal in the fluid. I used to do a lot of these. What happens is the wave plate from factory is too thin and over time cracks due to heat. That plate (which acts like a spring for the clutches) still functions for a while when its cracked but once it falls apart into multiple pieces, its over. The transmission has to be taken apart and and replace whatever is damaged. Usually that whole 3-5-reverse housing and associated clutches. The TCM can have faults. They have pressure sensors that fail and will set a code. I used to always replace the TCM anytime i had the transmission for the wave plate issue.

What are your exact symptoms. The waveplate breaking will cause you to have delayed reverse application and no 3rd gear or 5th gear. The TCM can give a slew of issues from a harsh shift or no shift at all.