GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

2004gmc sierra, after replacing battery, now air only coming

Customer Question

2004gmc sierra, after replacing battery, now air only coming out of defrost vent, was ok before battery replacement
JA: Have you tested the battery? Is the battery fluid low?
Customer: no it's a new battery, fully charged
JA: What is the model of your '04 GM?
Customer: sierra 1500 se
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: in an effort to drain all residual charges in the electrical system, I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes, then reconnected it, no change
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: yes the hvac was ok before battery replacement
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  GmXavier replied 4 months ago.

Hey, hopefully i can help you out.

Expert:  GmXavier replied 4 months ago.

I'm pretty sure all this is going to be is your actuators didn't calibrate correctly after your battery change. Everytime you change your battery or replace the A/C control head the actuators that control the a/c doors for either the air flow or the air temp recalibrate automatically.

Expert:  GmXavier replied 4 months ago.

You can try to disconnect it again and reconnect the battery and then start the truck. You should notice the a/c system cycles all the air flow from all positions, this is the actuator recalibrating itself. Try doing that and see if it works. Worst case scenario you can always go to a dealer and ask them to just recalibrate them, they can usually do that for free if you ask nicely since it requires just to plug in the scanner and select a calibration feature.