chevygeorge
chevygeorge, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Technician for over 25 years
93784238

Is a timing chain considered part of the power train

Customer Question

is a timing chain considered part of the power train warranty ?
JA: How many miles on the car? How responsive has your car been lately?
Customer: please answer my question
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: i need to know if "timing chain" is part of the power train warrant...then we talk facts
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I need to know if GM covers a defective timing chain as part of its power train warranty ... then I will decide
JA: Is there anything else the GM Mechanic should be aware of about your GM?
Customer: are you a robot?
JA: I'm an assistant to the GM Mechanic. I work with them to help customers like you.
Customer: you are not human are you ?
JA: It makes me sad that you don't believe in me. Maybe I'll be like Tinkerbell and die unless you believe I'm real.
Customer: this nutty treatment .... you give me... will work well in Court
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  chevygeorge replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name George and I'm here to assist you. Yes, almost all engine components, especially internal components are covered under the powertrain warranty. Some vehicles even have a special policy regarding said components. What year, make and model?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2008 GMC Acafia SLE
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
2008vGMC Acadia SLE

ok. Just a moment while I look it up.

I don't see any special policies regarding the timing chains on this year model. If you give me the last eight of your VIN I can check your warranty status.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
8J211027

Are you experiencing chain rattle or actuator codes?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dealer replaced chain and CHARGED about $2600; 3 months later the whole engine blew; now dealer wants to charge about $6000 for a whole new engine.

It shows your powertrain is expired.

07/22/2013

100137 MI

It does appear all your special policies were done at 97k.

Never seen this before. (ODOMETER CONVERSION FROM CANADIAN TO US BY ESC) I assume your Acadia was originally Canadian?

You should have a 12/12 warranty on the installed chains. Was that the cause of the engine failure?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
12/12.
An real GMC dealer performed the chain job and charged and got paid. Now claims engine failure must be from previous owner (which should have been apparent) and not dealer's work!
Now the audacity to demand $6000 for a new engine after they vahrged for a chain job.
Yes it appears that the car was assembled in Canada and used in. Canada for 3 years.
When imported 62,869 miles as of 3/28/2012. Are you saying it was over 94k US miles when imported?

No. it appears the conversion was done at 62848KM.

I was going to suggest a call to GM customer service, but not being the original owner, I am not sure it would help.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What did you mean by 97k ?

Oh, that's when the special policies were performed. The p/s pump, transmission work,

and the waterpump.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I guess I'll have to file a fraud lawsuit and let a jury sort it out.
How much have our "chat" cost me?

I don't have access to that information. Your chain repair was all customer pay?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
For some INSANE reason, GM gave a 120k chain warranty for 2007 and 2009 models. But refuse to fix the 2008 models.

I ask because there are only two repair orders that show up in detail, and they show type as warranty, but it doesn't show up on the warranty history so the dealer may have just entered it wrong. I was surprised to see yours did not have the oil life update to reduce the time between oil changes to prevent premature wear. I'm sorry your having to deal with this issue, but it seems like they dealer would stand behind their work a little more.

Did they give you the cause of the failure?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Please explain the "oil life update" you mentioned.Dealer claims some mysterious previous own failed to change the oil !

I would think bent valves or anything valvetrain related would somehow be related to the work they did.

It may have only been on the Traverse, but they had a recall that was updated programming that shortened the oil life interval between oil changes(some were going almost 10k between oil changes) to prevent too much oil consumption between changes (and low oil condition) causing excessive wear on the timing chains.

Actually, it may have been part of the special policy.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you
Good Night
www.davidpaulredding.com

Please take the time to rate my service, and let me know if you need anything else. Thanks, George

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks