chevygeorge
chevygeorge, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Technician for over 25 years
93784238

My truck is hard when turning left. I got a chvey alvanche

Customer Question

My truck is hard when turning left. I got a chvey alvanche 2005.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with GM. The GM Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: When I turn to the left it's hard but when I turn to the right it's easy.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replacing the power steering lpump.
JA: Many things can cause steering issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the GM Mechanic should be aware of about your GM?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  chevygeorge replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm here to assist you today.

It sounds as if you having a problem in the spool valve area of the steering gear. There are Teflon seals inside the gear that tend to wear and will cause the gear to bypass, losing assist in one direction. Is this loss of assist at all times of does it do it more cold or hot?

I've had some luck flushing these gears in the initial stages of noise, when they are moaning or making a rubbing noise, but by the time they get to losing assist, it is time to replace the gear. If you have some miles on it, it might be a good time to replace the pitman arm, as these wear, and usually have to transferred to the new gear.

Expert:  chevygeorge replied 8 months ago.

Please take the time to rate my service today, and if you have any further questions on the topic, please feel free to ask. Thank you, George.