FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified
1627031

2013 gmc 3500 Denali Dually with the lml duramax. 51k miles,

Customer Question

2013 gmc 3500 Denali Dually with the lml duramax. 51k miles, purchased pre owned with about 48k on it. I keep getting the change fuel filter message, mostly while towing my 14k fifth wheel camper while getting on the throttle, so mostly under load. I did get the p0087 code once while towing. The newest filter has less than 600 miles on it and I got the message yesterday while towing and getting on the throttle from a stop on flat ground. Heading to the dealer tomorrow but would like some insight first.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with GM. The GM Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Not really, just want some knowledge before going to the dealer. I have a good diesel mechanic but was thinking this issue was under warranty.
JA: OK! The GM Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the GM Mechanic should know about your GM?
Customer: All stock, no tuners
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** to hear about your Denali. The most common reason why this occurs is because of a programming issue. I have seen the programming have the incorrect values in it which causes this light to come on. I have also seen the circuit for the sensor fail and cause this, but that is not as common. When you go to the dealer they will more than likely just reprogram the system. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What needs reprogramming, the ECU? By no means am I a mechanic but to me it sounds like a restriction before the filter. I wasn't sure if you knew of any collapsing fuel lines or cracked filter heads such as in previous model duramax? I have also heard of a WIF sensor crack that won't show up in a vacuum fuel system such as with the cp3 pump. Could this possibly be caused by to much air getting in the system?