GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2005 Chev. Silverado... yesterday showed a false engine

Customer Question

2005 Chev. Silverado... yesterday showed a false engine overheat.. with a temp. gauge pegged at 270... My shift indicator stays in PARK although the shifter lever is moved to neutral... lastly, engine will not crank.. just makes a click noise....
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Do you happen to have the code?
Customer: no. sorry
JA: Not a problem. You can work with the GM Mechanic to figure that out. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: would like to.. if possible.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the GM Mechanic should know about your GM?
Customer: indicator for reduced power now is displayed
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** it make a single click or multiple clicks ? Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I hear maybe two clicks... very close together. The truck stopped while idling.. then no restart
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Had the truck towed.. continued to show it was hot even after several hours... disconnected negative battery terminal, and temperature sensor, waited and then reconnected.... Engine Overheat was gone as well as the high temperature reading on the gauge...
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Do you have a multi meter to do some testing? Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I do but I am not with the truck now.. at work... truck at home... I may be able to get out of work early
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Ok, start by testing battery voltage. Monitor voltage while trying to start, if it drops below 11v that means battery needs to be charged or replaced. Let me know how test goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK..
Expert:  Dan replied 6 months ago.

Thanks, I'll talk to you later. Keep me updated.