Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier,
Experience:  Owner/Technician at Max Air Mobile
83572702

I have a 2004 gmc savana 3500 extedned cargo 6l gas. As the

Customer Question

I have a 2004 gmc savana 3500 extedned cargo 6l gas. As the weather has gotten hotter the truck has been running hot while idling or running the AC. I noticed that the fan is directly bolted to the water pump pulley with no clutch. I also noticed that it is a four bladed metal fan with (offset blades)
Is this the correct fan for this van? (i bought it used last year)
I have pictures if needed.
When I search for replacement fans It appears that all of the parts that are listed have some sort of thermal clutch and have 6 blades as apposed to the directly connected metal fan that I have. IT also appears that there is a large gap between the fan and the radiator.
From the alignment of the hood I can tell its been in an accident at some point and I began to think maybe whoever fixed it used whatever parts they had available. Is this the right fan for my van?
Category: GM
Expert:  Reggie Whiddon replied 1 year ago.

Hello I beleive you have found the problem. First off you are right that is not the correct fan for your van, and also the spacing is most likely off and both of those will no doubt cause your overheating condition. Something else to look for that is often left off in a repair like this is the flaps and plastic covers that help route the air through the radiator, condensor and other coolers, without them airflow is restricted and can even be directed away or limited the best and easiest thing you should do is compare your van to a known good one, I am sure there is one on a car lot near you pop the hood and compare. Around here we have pull-a-part, a salvage yard where you go and remove your own parts going and removing them would save you money plus your guaranteed to get all the small pieces you need.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The shroud is present.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DO all SAVANAS use clutches with there fans or have you seen some that have a 1/1 with the water pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was hoping as a GM mechanic that you could tell me one way or another and not ask me to go to a car lot. If I had time to do that I would not be here paying for the answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I apologize sir please yes i can help you do anything you want to the van. And to answer your question no they have used a clutch fan or electric fans for years and your year model van had one of those

And that four blade fan havent seen one of them in years your van come with a 5 or 6 blade. And i said what i did about going to the car lot becauase in a situation like this when you have something wrecked that you bought after the wreck therefore you are not sure the alignment or positioning of things having a known good one right beside yours is worth a thousand words.

Oh and sir i see the 50 dollar phone call i did not put that up there not sure but will be glad to talk to you on phone, video whatever i can do to help you fix this van

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You.How would I find the right clutch and fan to go with my van? I didnt see any dangling wires so Im assuming it is the mechanical thermal clutch?

You are correct it would be a thermal clutch, you can take your vin number and go to the dealer or a good local parts house can look it up by application.

What shape is your fan shroud? And the Radiator do you think it is the correct radiator?

Expert:  Kevin Bourcier replied 1 year ago.

hello how are you . I am wishing to offer my assistance to try and help solve your problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Shroud appears to be correct and the radiator is correct. Ive checked.

okay . I am reading about the situation with the " fixed " fan blade . have you changed back to the OEM thermal fan clutch and factory blade ?

so I understand that you are experiencing overheating issues ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still using the fixed fan blade. DId you see the picture I included? The fixed fan sits just outside of the shroud. Is that normal or should the fan be inside the shroud? Maybe a spacer would fix everything, your thoughts? The truck operates at 210 for a half hour or so but than heats to 230-235 and stays there unless flying down the highway or flooring the truck in park for 30 seconds or so.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankfully with 80 degree temperatures currently the truck does not fully overheat but Im sure it will when we get into the 90s'

okay . I did not see the pic but that is okay . normally the fan blade needs to be " within " the shroud in order for the shroud to serve it's purpose . Short of installing a completely OEM fan and clutch set up back on if you choose not to go that route , I would suggest buying a fan blade spacer to move the fan into the shroud . additionally typically the clearance for the fan blade to shroud is 3/4 " to 1 " how does this fan blade fit ? if the shroud diameter is 20 inches and the fan blade is only 16 inches for example then that just will not work . Additionally , I read that you " flushed " the radiator . I would still have suspicions of a partially plugged radiator . But we can get to that . we can stay focused for now on the fan issue .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The picture of the fan can be found here. I had a shop flush the radiator because I thought that may be the issue. It sadly was not, and I found that the shop did not bleed the air out of the system which I had to do this morning. Take a look at the picture and let me know if the spacing looks correct to you. The spacer would be easiest if the fan is the right size because noise is not a concern for me as it is a work van.

hi . okay . the fan is small and you need a bigger fan . you also need to move it closer to the shroud . Also from the view I have of the image if it has not been reversed during the transfer of the pic that fan must rotate counter clockwise when viewed from the front . Can you confirm the rotational direction ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I crawled under the van to take that picture with my cellphone not sure if it is reversed but i think it is pulling from the front through the radiator over the engine.Is it possible to reverse the direction of the fan by installing the serpentine belt wrong? That same shop replaced the serpentine belt a week ago due to a split rib...... about the same time this overheating started happening.

yes it is very possible to reverse the rotation of the fan by installing the belt incorrectly . It happens frequently

the fan must rotate in the correct direction . it needs to " pull " the air through the radiator . The fanmust rotate in the direction of the leading edge .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will need to check that. Is there a down side to using a fixed fan that is spinning at engine speed all the time? My truck idles a lot in driveways because it runs a PTO system (carpet cleaning machine) and Im thinking a fixed fan is one less thing to go wrong.

this an image for a CCW direction fan . the pictured you have looks like the fan on your engine needs to be rotating Counter clockwise

the fan clutch design was originally engineered as a method of reducing fuel consumption and increasing availablr horsepower .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Those two vbelts you see are an aftermarket Power takeoff system that are independent of everything else. I hope that isnt confusing you.

no it is fine . I have installed those PTO systems before

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does it matter what fan I purchase. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FJnlePa2L.jpg
When I search automotive parts I get suggestions such as the one in the link. They look nothing like the picture you sent or the one on my van.

did you confirm yet that the fan is spinning in the right direction ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me re-check.

after further review of the pic and the belt I can see that the fan is rotating in the correct direction

May I suggest what I would do if it were my vehicle at this point ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please. I confirmed it is spinng right
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Fan is half inside and half outside the shroud. And a good 5-6 inches from the radiator itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IT is still strong enough to pull a piece of paper against the radiator from the front and hold it there.

okay . IF this is my vehicle and I NEED it for work ! I will replace the radiator and the thermostat . It hase been running and working in this configuration I assume more quite some time , years . The fan / shroud is not likely the cause . replace the radiator , thermostat and fresh coolant .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you !! I will take your advice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I close out this question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Final question. There are two radiators available for my truck. One with a sensor port and one without a sensor port. How do I know which one I need?

you need to phone the dealer with the VIN and they can tell you that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will do that on Tuesday. How do I close out this "question" so you get paid?

Kevin Bourcier I did not know that taking someones question over was allowed or appropriate,,

you jus t accept the answer and if you wish . you can also leave a positive rating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SOrry reggie. I requested another mechanic and the customer service reopened my question although your info was not bad it was not what I was looking for. Sorry. Kevin got this one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will not let me close out this "questions" the option will not allow me to click. I will need to contact customer service so they can close it and rate you.

oh okay . sorry for that inconvenience . thanks so very much for using Just Answer . It has been my pleasure to be able to be of assistance . Kevin

Thanks !