GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2008 chef 2500HD diesel with ITBC. The trailer brakes are

Customer Question

2008 chef 2500HD diesel with ITBC. The trailer brakes are not working. Brand new trailer. Checked the blue wire pin for trailer brakes at back of truck 7 pin plug and at first it would just flick once and now not doing anything. Also I don't think it is recognizing that a trailer is plugged in. The lights and signals all work on the trailer just not the trailer brakes.
JA: Working brakes are essential. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with brake problems. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked the 15 amp fuse and it is ok at position 19 (itbc). Not sure where to go from here.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the GM Mechanic should know about your GM?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 6 months ago.

Are you checking the brake signal wire using a test light or volt meter?

Do you have a spare headlight bulb to test this circuit. It needs to see a load for it to work.

Have you tested the brakes on the trailer to confirm they work, its not uncommon for a trailer to be wired bad or wrong new?