Chris (aka- Moose), GMC Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

GMC Sonoma 2000 2.2L dies when put in gear. Manual

Customer Question

GMC Sonoma 2000 2.2L dies when put in gear. Manual transmission.
Idles good, if engine is reved up will sputter and die.
Fuel pump, filter and lines up to hard lines of fuel injection changed out.
Fuel pump good pressure. Following sensors changed out camshaft, crankshaft, throttle body. Plugs and wires changed out. ICM changed, both coil paks changed out. Generator is supplying voltage to run vehicle when battery is disconnected. Cranks good. Compression on cylinders 150-180 across all 4. Charge showing 14volts while running.
Truck was running pulling a load , after load was removed and truck was driven away and about 2 miles later truck died and had to be pulled home.
Category: GM
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central everyday. Please let me know exactly what you need from this conversation so you will want to rate me with EXCELLENT 5 STAR service.

Any trouble codes stored?

Any warning lights on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no communication with PCM, no warning lights on , had previous communication with PCM on scanner. Showed Crankshaft sensor, and throttle body sensor. Now nothing. Scanner checked on other vehicles is working.
When ignition is turned on MIL comes on as normal and then goes off.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
what am I overlooking for the problem? Possible bad PCM?

Yes it is possible to be a bad PCM. Can you OHM test the communication wires from the data link connector to the PCM to see if there is good continuity? I have the diagrams if needed.

Was the fuel pressure even good when it stalled? So far I am leaning mos to a throttle position issue, MAF/MAP sensor issue or the computer.

At the top of your screen you will see 1-5 stars and a green submit button. You have already paid all the fees, now its time to rate the answer. Rating pays me from your deposit. I am only paid through not by the website if you rate me. Don't worry about a follow up later if needed, they are free and I welcome them. Ask me about a phone call if you prefer that service.

Thanks Chris

Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 4 months ago.

Hello again Chris here,

I am contacting you because the post has not been closed or rated. We have 7 days to get a post rated before it times out. When a post times out, that means its no longer on my active list (if you reply I never know it.) You have already paid the fees to get this question answered, but it appears your not pleased, or need more help.

Let me help some more. Is there anything else you feel I could offer so you would be pleased with my help. I have the option to call you if that would be better.

Thanks Chris