Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

My car is making a wierd moaning noise while on the gas

Customer Question

My car is making a wierd moaning noise while on the gas starting at about 45 mph and up. It only happens when the car is at a steady speed. Any help?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with GM. The GM Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I can feel a vibration through the gas pedal and floorboard. Only while the car is at a steady speed at 45 mph and up
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If possible yes
JA: Is there anything else important you think the GM Mechanic should know about your GM?
Customer: I will solve that with him later
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the GM Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: GM
Expert:  CHRIS ZAPANTIS replied 5 months ago.

Hello Im chris and I will assist you can you tell me more about the noise? By what you have said so far the only thing that I can think of is a wheel bearing.

Can you explain the noise in more detail?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Both wheel bearings were replaced. The car doesn't make any noise while at lower speeds. But once I go about 45-60 mph at a steady speed there is like a moaning noise that goes on then off. If I'm not on the gas it goes away

what kind of car?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2004 Chevy Impala. 3.4 motor
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Transmission has 130,000 miles on it and motor has 277,000 on it

can you explain the "moaning" better?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can hear it coming from the front end of the car and can feel it through the gas pedal. It comes on and goes off every 3 seconds while in the highest gear

I have seen axles make the vibration at that speed but i havent heard them moan.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It doesn't do it at low speeds though. It sounds like it's coming from the motor

I hear ya unfortunately this is probably something i have to hear and feel. Im going to opt out and let someone else help you. Maybe they have seen the exact thing.

Good luck.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Clayso replied 5 months ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

I've chased moans, groans, squeaks all over General Motors products for years. Since the moan is in the front and changes at different speeds and whether under a load or not, this narrows down the possibilities to the drivetrain. If you can change the moan by steering slightly left to right this indicates wheel bearings, but does not rule out things like several different transmission bearings. The engine itself can transmit noises through the mounts depending on the engines position when the noise occurs. Chevrolet issued a technical service bulletin several years ago concerning a moan from the power steering at highway speeds, the main cause was low power steering fluid.

General Motors and many other manufactures recommend Chassis Ears for determining the cause and sources of drivetrain and really any other noises. Steelman offers chassis ears both wired and wireless. Personally I prefer the wired, there are 6 sensors instead of 4, the sounds transmit better, easier to isolate specific areas, and the headphones really help isolate outside noises. Chassis ears are a small investment, but can save you money in the long run versus simply changing parts and hoping.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.