Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have over 20 years experience in the automotive service industry.
29534642

On my 2004 Yukon Denali, the brake lights randomly activate

Customer Question

On my 2004 Yukon Denali, the brake lights randomly activate even when car is parked ignition off. On recent trip ithe fault turned off the cruise. The trailer brake control shows open circuit when the lights are on. Where is the problem?
Category: GM
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. Have you replaced the brake light switch by chance? That is likely what the problem is. Does it happen alot? or just once a week? thanks.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Not yet, but moving the switch has no affect. It is happening daily. A couple of hrs ago they just came on sitting in the driveway Now they are off
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
they went off and on by themselves?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Car hadn't been driven since 1p; lights came on @ 5p; no one in or around car, no humidity changes
Expert:  Edward replied 6 months ago.
interesting, could be the flasher module, I've seen that a time or two, but usually it's the switch, but you've played with the switch and it doesn't make any difference, try unplugging the brake light switch and see if they still come on then. Brake light switch has an ORANGE and WHITE wire going to it. If they still come on then, I would go straight for the flasher module, it's on the interior fuse panel and looks like this. I believe it is going to be one or the other. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks.